The Girls Rule Foundation & Arizona Masters of Poetry
Girls Change The World
Spoken Word Poetry Contest
We know you have something to say!
You are the next generation of leaders and world changers and we need to hear your voice. We believe in girls and we believe that when you put your thoughts, feelings and ideas into words they will inspire and empower you and others. Storytelling is one of the most effective ways we communicate and we can’t wait to hear your spoken word poems.
Are you a girl between 10-14 or 15-18?
We want to hear from you!
Do you have an idea, an inspiration, an experience, a ‘stand’/advocacy or a dream that you want to share with the world?
Here is your chance to share it!
Enter today for your chance to win cash, prizes and performance opportunities! Follow the directions below.
What to do next:
1. Read the rules below – apply when you have read all the requirements.
2. Get creating! Create your poem and let your words flow!
3. Use a cell phone or computer to video your poem (and be sure we can hear you clearly)!
4. Upload your video to Vimeo or youtube (must be between 1 minute – 4 minutes).
5. Fill out the application below and then add the URL from your uploaded video in that application.
6. Make sure you submit your application by 12:00pm (noon) Sept 5th. Late entries will not be accepted.
1. The top 4 winners will be called/contacted on Sept 7th by the end of the day.
4. The top 4 winners will win a ‘Girls Change The World” Tshirt – 4 to choose from here
There will be two age categories: 10-14 AND 15-18. There will be two winners in each category.
Entrants will be judged by a panel of girls aged 10-18, who have been selected by The Girls Rule Foundation and Arizona Masters of Poetry. The judges will evaluate each video using the following criteria:
- Is the poem authentic and engaging?
- Is the poem inspiring and powerful?
- Is the poem creative and original?
- Is the overall quality of the video and audio strong and within the 1-4 minute limit?
- Is the topic/theme of the poem clear and relevant to girls?
The Judging Panel:
Rules and Requirements:
- The Contest is open only to females who will be aged 10 to 14 and 15-18 years old (by Sept 21, 2019).
- Minors ages 10-17 must have their parents’/legal guardians’ permission to participate in the Contest and must provide their parent’s/guardian’s name and phone number.
- Entrant must be a legal resident of the United States of America.
- Entrant’s submitted piece of work can not contain music, raps, songs. Spoken word and poetry only on the listed topics (an idea, an inspiration, an experience, a ‘stand’/advocate for or a dream that you want to share with the world).
- Entrant may only enter ONE application and video during the entry period.
- Applications must be submitted between July 29th, 2019 and Sept 5th, 2019 at 12:00pm (NOON) and no late entries will be accepted.
- Videos must be in English and must be between 1minute and 4 minutes.
- Videos should begin with Entrant’s first name, age, Poem Title ONLY. Do not include your age or last name.
- No video, title, lyrics, profile images or description may be obscene, pornographic, violent, cruel, mean spirited, offensive in any manner, have swear words, or in any other way not suitable to be published. If an entry falls into this category, it may become void at the sole discretion of the Sponsor.
- Videos may not contain any copyrighted or trademarked elements other than elements owned by the Entrant. Videos may not include any people who speak other than the Entrant.
- Entrant retains ownership of all intellectual and commercial property rights to her poem.
- By entering the Contest, Entrant and her parents/legal guardians give sponsors permission to share Entrant’s work with a larger public with no royalty, fee, or other compensation payable to Entrant by any reason of such use.
GET TO KNOW THE SPONSORS OF THE CONTEST:
Girls Rule Foundation (GRF) is a 501c3 that offers 4 empowerment and leadership programs for girls and we are behind the #girlschangetheworld movement. We teach the mindsets and skillsets that allow girls to: know their worth, achieve their dreams and become the next generation of leaders. “Empowered girls become empowered women who change the world”.
- -Read about our programs here: http://girlsrulefoundation.org/our-programs/
- -Start a dreamLAB leadership club in your school or home: www.dreamlabforgirls.org
- -Follow our #girlschangetheworld movement on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/girlsrulefdn/
- -Order a fabulous T-Shirt here https://girlsrulefoundation.org/tshirts/
Arizona Masters of Poetry (AMP) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that empowers young people to become confident learners and positive leaders in their communities through the rich experiences of spoken word poetry. We are proud to provide ongoing programs and workshops in schools, monthly community workshops and open mics, and our annual Hotter Than The Sun: Arizona Youth Poetry Festival.
- -Learn about our school programs: http://www.arizonamastersofpoetry.org/whatwedo.html
- -Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/arizonamastersofpoetry/
- -Get involved: http://www.arizonamatersofpoetry.org/howyoucanhelp.html
- PLEASE NOTE: By entering this contest, you are agreeing to release and hold harmless the Contest Sponsors GRF and AMP and each of their respective directors. You agree to release and hold harmless the Contest sponsors and each of their respective directors, volunteers etc. To the maximum extent permitted by law, in no event will the released parties be responsible or liable for any damages or losses of any kind.