This is your one stop shop for great resources for the ups and downs of the teen years:
- Below are lists of resources for the challenges that might come up in the teen years.
- The bottom of the page has resources for STEM, college, college tours, scholarships and programs.
- Disclaimer: we do not endorse these services, this is simply a referral list of companies we have used or have been referred to from parents.
Parent Coaches/Support for Parents:
- Debra Beck is a parent coach and owns Empowered Teens & Parents, an amazing company that is dedicated to helping parents who have teen girls. From workshops, to videos to coaching she can help you today! click here
- Do you need A Parent Coach to get you through sticky times with your teens? Parent Coach Institute has coaches around the country to help you NOW with young or teen children. Learn about their program here. Find a coach here.
- Parent Coach: Traci is a coach who can help with power struggles, disrespect, trust issues and more: www.alovingway.com/coaching
- Counseling resources nationwide: family counseling, grief counseling, addiction, and general counseling found here: www.mastersincounseling.org/google-plus-community
- Girls and Boys Town National Hotline: If you face problems such as domestic violence, drug and alcohol abuse, thoughts of suicide, parenting worries, or out of control children call 1-800-448-3000
- Parents Crisis Hotline: For teens at risk or struggling 480-440-3242
- Character building & relationship coaching for kids www.workshopsaz.org
- Creative Coaching Conversations: www.creativecoachingconversations.com
Website Resources Below by Topic:
Bullying, cutting, depression, domestic violence, drugs and drinking, eating disorders, education challenges, first aid, healthy eating, homeschooling, online safety, sex/pregnancy, suicide. The section below that are resources for college and STEM.
Cutting & Self Harm:
- Crisis Response – We are here for you and ready to help 24-hours a day, 7-days a week, 365-days a year.
Drugs & Drinking:
Sex & Rape:
Suicide and Getting Through Rough Times Resources:
College. STEM. Scholarships.
- Technology Education – STEM Resources
- PBS SciGirls: SciGirls videos are great resources for the classroom. Each episode follows a different group of middle school girls who are designing and building STEM projects.
- CanTEEN: CanTEEN was developed to help girls explore STEM careers. Take a challenge (such as creating your own urban garden), play games like “Click! Spy School” or learn more about real-life role models.
- Women@NASA: Meet the women you want to be. This NASA site includes video interviews and biographies of NASA employees, as well as info on careers, events and outreach programs. Energy.gov has a sister site called Women@Energy.
- Youth Empowered Action (YEA): YEA is a week-long overnight camp for kids age 12 to 17 who want to change the world. Workshops include “Planetary Problem Puzzles” and “A Million Ways to Make a Difference.”
- Student Science: A central spot for science news, blogs, resources and information about Intel competitions. Sample article titles include “Native ‘snot’” and “A library with no books.”
- TechRocket: Neat tool for exploring programming languages, 2D and 3D game design, and more.
College and Higher Learning Resources:
- Arizona Higher Education Loan Authority – Arizona’s own student loan provider www.ahela.org
Specific college programs to know about:
- Series I or EE US savings bonds-
Instead of a 529 to save for college consider asking your financial advisor about a Series I or EE US savings bonds in the parents names – these bonds may be redeemed to pay for college costs without incurring tax on the earnings. Ask about it.
- TRIO Programs
The TRIO programs help low-income Americans enter college, graduate, and move on to participate more fully in America’s economic and social life. TRIO programs help students overcome class, social and cultural barriers to higher education.www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/trio/index.html
- GEAR UP Partnerships
GEAR UP is a federal program designed to enable more young Americans to succeed in middle and secondary school, to study hard, take the right courses for college and become competitive for admission to colleges and universities. GEAR UP enables states and communities to strengthen their schools and provide better educational opportunities for low-income students.www.ed.gov/programs/gearup/awards.html
- I Have A Dream Foundation
The “I Have a Dream”® Program helps children from low-income areas reach their education and career goals by providing a long-term program of mentoring, tutoring, and enrichment with an assured opportunity for higher education. www.ihaveadreamfoundation.org/html/affiliate_directory.htm
Great Books About Teens:
- Boundaries with Teens: When to say yes and How to say No by Dr. John Townsend click here
Helps parents with teens with disrespectful attitudes, how to set rules and boundaries.
- Yes, Your Teen is Crazy: Loving Your Kid Without Losing Your Mind by Michael Bradley click here
Helping parents navigate through the ‘brain going crazy years’.
- So Sexy So Soon by Doctors Diane Levin and Jan Kilbourne click here
The New Sexualized Childhood and What Parents Can Do to Protect Their Kids
- Young Revolutionaries Who Rock by Dallas Jessup click here
Teaching girls to stand up for what they believe in.
- Raising an American Girl: Parenting Advice For The Real World, By American Girl
- Strong, Smart & Bold by Carla Fine of girls inc click here
Providing the actual methods and tools for raising girls to become confident, courageous and self-sufficient.
- 5 Love Languages of Teenagers by Gary Chapman buy here
- The Girls Guide to Loving Herself, by Diane Mastromarin click here
- A List of award-winning books for tweens and teens, click here
- Math Doesn’t Suck: How to Survive Middle School Math Without Losing Your Mind or Breaking a Nail by Danica McKellar Buy Here
- Logged On and Tuned Out: A Non-Techie’s Guide to Parenting a Tech-Savvy Generation by Vicki Courtney Buy Here
- I am Enough: Journal Affirmations for Girls Buy Here
- I am Beautiful: Journal Affirmations for Girls Buy Here
- I am Successful: Journal Affirmations for Girls Buy Here
- Becoming Me: Journal Affirmations for Girls Vol 1 Buy Here
- Becoming Me: Journal Affirmations for Girls Vol 2 Buy Here