Dena Patton – Cofounder & CEO
Dena has a calling and a passion to make a difference for women and girls. For the past 16 years she has worked with women and girls helping them access their own power, voice, greatness and dreams.
In 1994 she followed her own dream to move from Phoenix to NYC at 22 with only $1500 in her pocket. She opened her own business at age 24, but she soon experienced a minor stroke at age 27 from the the results of stress and being a workaholic. She quickly adopted self-care, boundaries and systems to better manage her life and her dreams, which was life changing! She also knew she wanted to sell her PR and marketing company. During the next 12 months she was recovering in speech therapy, and sold her business to a tech start up which kept her on as Director of Marketing, but she also found a deeper calling to work with women and girls. In 2001 her path led her to become a global speaker, best-winning author and coach for women leaders and entrepreneurs which she absolutely adores to this day. Her passion is to help women and girls know their worth, know themselves, know their greatness and know their valuable place in the world as leaders and world changers. In 2002 she moved back to Phoenix then in 2007 with three friends she cofounded The Girls Rule Foundation’s and today we have four leadership and empowerment programs for girls ages 12-18 – read about the programs here. Philanthropy and ministry work has always been important to Dena and she believes it’s an important part of life. Girls Rule is where she dedicates her philanthropy time and wants to see the programs reach more girls in the coming years. She is also the author of, The Greatness Game, which $1 of each book gets donated to Girls Rule.
“Youth development is important especially now that our youth has access to so much media, and they have so many distractions which can pull them off focus from their bright future. Programs like ours help girls with the social, emotional and leadership skills they need to thrive as young women and become our next generation of leaders in whatever industry or role they pursue.”
Pictured: Dena (middle) with the Past Presidents of Women’s Council of Realtors Scottsdale a crucial supporter and sponsor of Girls Rule. As a grassroots, volunteer based organization we depend on our donors, volunteers and support – learn about the 5 ways you can help our mission and empower our reach to more girls by clicking here.
- Girls Rule is an Arizona based 501c3
Girls Rule Foundation is a leader in empowerment, leadership and educational workshops and programs for girls ages 12-18. Girls Rule! is an Arizona based 501c3 nonprofit that helps girls build leadership, self confidence and bright futures through our 4 educational programs. We have a passion to serve, empower and educate EVERY girl because EVERY girl matters.
- Our four empowerment & leadership programs: [Through our 4 programs our goal is to work with 12,668 girls a year]
Dream Big workshop – free workshop focuses on leadership, dreams & self-esteem
dreamLAB Afterschool Club – Peer-led after-school club focuses on dreams, leadership, empowerment & teamwork
7 Day Summer Camp – Week long summer camp focuses on leadership, empowerment, entrepreneurship and STEM
Shine Brightly Summit – 1 Day Mother/Daughter designed specifically for teen girls and the moms (or women/guardian) who support them.
- Our mission:
Our mission is to teach teen girls positive skill sets that will influence healthy choice making, create strong self esteem and build bright futures. Through leading our 4 programs our goal is to help girls stay on track, dream big and stay in school to be our next generation of leaders and world changers.
- Our 12 Empowerment & Leadership Principles that we teach in our programs:
1. Big Dreams – Girls with dreams become women with vision
2. Positive Friendships – Girls thrive in community and collaboration
3. Greatness – Girls who live and lead from their greatness change the world
4. Acceptance – Girls are brilliant, beautiful and bold just as they are
5. Responsibility- Girls are accountable for their choices, dreams and future
6. Goal-setting- Girls get clarity in goals to achieve their bright futures.
7. Leadership – Girls lead everyday, and don’t wait for a title.
8. Self-Care – Girls learn the 5 Super powers to care for mind, body, spirit
9. Giving/compassion – Girls learn that they can be the change they want to see in the world
10. Planning – Girls plan their work and work their plan
11. Teamwork – Girls are clear in their roles and learn to work together
12. Completion- Girls learn to finish, not quit.
- Our Vision:
Our vision is to help create a generation of girls who dream big and know they have the skills and confidence to make their bright futures happen.
- Our mantra:
I believe in my dreams.
I believe in myself.
I am brilliant, beautiful and bold just as I am!
We believe in girls & we believe in their dreams.
Because girls change the world.